Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Day 7, rest

And on the seventh day, he rested.

I went out to the water and enjoyed the strong breeze. Without that breeze, the day would have been much hotter. Truth be told, I still ended up sweating in the sunlight despite my hat and toshi. Weather said the temps never got above 70°F (21°C), but the sun was pretty harsh. That said, the forecast for the next several days calls for cooler temps, then more rain. Maybe the autumnal switch has flipped, and fall has finally arrived on Jeju.

Not quite sure what I wanted to eat, I found myself walking past the same Chinese restaurant I'd passed yesterday. Food turned out to be great. I had seafood jjambbong and seafood jjajang-myeon

During my walk, I wandered over to where a large Korean Coast Guard vessel was docked. It looked quite impressive up close, but even a big ship like that can be tossed around like a toy when the sea god gets angry. 

Some pics from today's stroll:

more nifty farm equipment


I guess this is a shwimteo, but look at the water down there.

I've never seen a shwimteo configured like this.

Elsewhere, much the same thing. You're supposed to sit with your feet in the water?


Coast Guard ship from afar




If you're going to photograph a lady, don't forget her ass.

caused by erosion, I presume


This steep set of stairs ("Rotten Leg Trail"?) is part of tomorrow's Course 10. I might give it a try, but I might also wimp out at the last minute. I won't know until tomorrow morning.




finally: some evidence of a harvest

seafood jjajang-myeon

seafood jjambbong

from my hotel window: a shot of the Coast Guard vessel (bow obscured)

A few hours more of luxurious rest, then off in the early morning. If it's too dark at 5:30, I won't do the Rotten Leg Trail. Safety first.



3 comments:

Charles said...

Today felt like our first real day of autumn here in Seoul. The high was 19, I think, and sunny, but it felt cool and crisp all day.

John Mac said...

What are your impressions of Jeju-do? Do you think you could live there?

I have noticed any real industry (other than agriculture) in your photos. Is everyone retired? I wonder how they afford some of those grand houses you've photographed.

Glad you had a relaxing day off. Looking forward to finding out what happens on the eighth day.

Kevin Kim said...

Charles,

I look forward to coming back to bona fide cool weather. While things seem to have cooled down for the moment on Jeju-do, the weather here has been mercurial, so I have no idea whether this is legitimately a switch to autumn weather or just a temporary hiccup.

John,

I thought the entire blog was a collection of my impressions of Jeju, but to answer your specific questions: the idea of living in Jeju has its appeal, but I wouldn't look forward to the typhoons. I haven't considered moving here; for the moment, I'd classify Jeju as a nice place to visit. There are a lot of old people visible, so there may very well be a lot of retirees, making Jeju-do the Florida of Korea. The older generation of Koreans was a generation of savers, which is probably how they can afford such properties. The younger generation is mired in credit-card debt. As you'll see in today's entry, the going for Course 10 was pretty easy. A cool, pleasant day after the initial rain.