Wednesday, October 5, 2022

forgot to let you know

Taking advantage of the frighteningly speedy WiFi I'm enjoying in the Lemain Hotel, I've added the remaining (lemaining?) pics to the October 2 entry (here), along with captions. That photo essay is over 690 images long, so pack a lunch and take your time.

Oh, yeah—a linguistic note: is it "on Jeju" or "in Jeju"? In looking back over my entries, I see that I've used both. While part of me chafes at the inconsistency, I'm not too exercised about it because the word Jeju refers to both the island and the province, so one could be both on Jeju Island and in Jeju Province. Using the fuller designation Jeju-do doesn't resolve the issue, either, because the term -do means both "island" and "province" (although, granted, we're talking about two different Chinese characters that are pronounced the same way and thus written phonetically the same way in Korean).



1 comment:

Charles said...

I've always thought of Jeju as an island first, and I suspect that when people say Jeju-do they mean 濟州島. Then again, I don't think I've ever asked anyone about this--it's more just an impression I've gotten--so I could be wrong.

Either way, your pronoun usage never stood out to me. I doubt I would have noticed anything had you not mentioned it.