Monday, September 26, 2022

I'm not sure how ready I feel

While I'm looking forward to the upcoming hike along Jeju Island's coast, I'm also a bit trepidatious. I've been working on staircase training again, but I somehow feel this isn't going to be enough. Six of the seventeen days I'll be hiking will be on segments rated "difficult" by trail authorities. Olle trail 18-1, which is on a completely separate island (Chuja-do), has five mountain summits along its length. If that's what "difficult" means on Jeju-do, well, I have a feeling my ass is going to get kicked. I'll just have to take it slow.

And right now, according to the latest weather forecast, the weather is going to be hot, and there'll be showers over the weekend, likely in the afternoon on Sunday. I don't look forward to hiking in the heat (or in the rain), but that's what you get when you choose to hike on Jeju-do at the beginning of fall. Summer departs the island only grudgingly. Jeju's climate is described as "temperate and humid"; it often seems close to being subtropical (the island's palm trees reinforce this notion, but then again, Jeju has cold, snowy winters). No matter how you slice it, the Jeju hike is going to be a challenge.

Maybe I should have planned to go in November. Well, it's too late to back out now. I'm really looking forward to the Andong Dam hike. Heh.



1 comment:

John Mac said...

Everything will be new to you on the Jeju trail. That's a good distraction from the weather. I know I'm looking forward to this hike!